Jilla vs Veeram - Vote Your choice? | Pongal Race Poll and Analysis
So finally the time has come for the epic clash in the Box Office between Thala and Thalapathy after 7 long years! Initially it was Tha...
And now, Ilaya Thalapathy’s Jilla too confirms its release date on January 10th post completing their censor a couple of days back. Though the promise was kept right from earlier that hitting the big screens will happen on Jan 10th from both teams, there was speculations and gossips that the clash won’t happen for various reasons. But now it got declared official!
Excitement is not only for the fans, its also between the entire Kollywood movie lovers, exhibitors and critics as well. Both Jilla and Veeram are set to open in grand manner globally and all set to clash for the grand Pongal Battle on January 10th! Its our pleasure indeed to register our wishes for a super duper success for both these biggies.
Here are some notable epic clashes between Thala and Thalapathy in their earlier career.
Villain – Bhagavathy (2002)
Thirumalai – Anjaneya (2003)
Paramasivan – Aadhi (2006)
Pokkiri – Alwar (2007)
Both the films are backed by reliable production houses and marketed through distributors with strong networks. Jilla and Veeram have been censored with clean U certificates that entitle them for entertainment tax exemption.
There are around 800 screens in Tamil Nadu which can release new films. And the screens are surely going to be divided among the two equally. It is not the first time Ajith and Vijay films are clashing.
In 2001 Pongal Ajith's Dheena directed by debutant AR Murgadoss clashed with Vijay's Friends directed by Malayalam director Siddique who was debuting in Tamil. Both the films went on to become super hits.
In 2007, Pongal Ajith's Aalwar clashed with Vijay's Pokkiri which went on to become the winner.
But 2013 scenario is totally different; the arch rivals have attained superstardom and have a strong fan base. It will surely enable them to get that opening.
And with just two biggies releasing, Jilla and Veeram are likely to share the box-office between them. A ten-day Pongal holiday break (Jan 10- 19) in Tamil Nadu, will ensure a thundering opening.
Now it's time you to cast vote for the movie which you think will be the winner in pongal race.
Veeram vs Jilla: Preview and Analysis
Vijay and Ajith have had released their movies on the same day four times -- Villain & Bagavathy (2002), Anjaneya & Thirumalai (2003), Paramasivan & Aadhi (2006), Aazhwar & Pokiri (2007). There had been a clear verdict 3 out of 4 times in the past. This time, the trade is betting on the chances of of both may succeed at the box office.
- Jilla's biggest strength is the combination of 2 big stars from Kerala and TN coming together after a long time, ever since Thalapathy. The potential for 'mass' elements and sentiments involving Vijay and Mohan Lal are expected to be electric on screen.
- Mohan Lal recently delivered his career best blockbuster hit movie in Malayalam, Drishyam. This has created lots of excitement and expectations among fans in Kerala and overseas. The Malayalam audience is expected to give a big boost to Jilla's opening.
- Vijay's excellent rendition of "Kandaangi" song with Shreya Ghoshal and glimpses of his dance movements with Kajal Aggarwal have already caught the attention of fans and public.
- After a long time, Ajith's role set against a rural backdrop has created lots of expectations. Ajith's multiple facets in the trailers promise a wholesome family entertainer, typically expected of a pongal release movie.
- Casting of Veeram is a mixed bag. The good news is that Tamannah is back in Tamil after 2 years and Santhanam combination scenes with Ajith are expected to bring the house down. But, we will have to wait and see how the decision to cast lesser known actors as Ajith's band of brothers will work out on screen.
- No full length trailer has been released until 3 days prior to movie release. In order to reach all segments of people worldwide, trailers typically need some more time to virally spread on social channels.
- After massive first weekend openings, Ajith's hit movies in the past have shown gradual drop during the 2nd and 3rd weeks after release due to comparatively lesser support from family and neutral audience (relatively speaking). One of the distributors who bought Arrambam pointed to Ajith's policy of not involving in promotional activities as a potential reason.
- All screens in Tamil Nadu, Kerala and other overseas locations will be almost equally shared between Jilla and Veeram. All big movies have cleared the way for Jilla and Veeram either by releasing earlier for Christmas/New Year or pushed out the release dates in February.
- Given a lot of similarities with the subject of both movies, there could be direct comparisons and verdict is expected to be clear and amplified. For segment of the audience who typically pick one movie to watch for Pongal, they may pick the better of the two resulting in cannibalization of potential revenue from the relatively weaker movie.
Pre-release Buzz Winner
Due to the great combination of 2 prominent stars, the buzz for Jilla on the internet and social sites are notably higher compared to Veeram. Despite not releasing a full-length trailer, Jilla appears to have a slightly better edge in terms of box office opening worldwide at least for the first day shows. However, it is well-known that the word of mouth for respective movies will be the ultimate deciding factor.
As always, Expect our fair and balanced reviews this Friday.